Home » Animals & Nature » Detailed report walking the West Highland Way – With Tips

Detailed report walking the West Highland Way – With Tips

                                                                                                     (Kinlochleven in the distance)

Note: Real life is MUCH better than pictures.

I will first go through our days, what we did and stuff, and in the end speak about the gear we used and add extra tips. :) Enjoy!

Day 1: Tuesday

Me and a friend departed Tuesday 4th of September to Brussels, to take the Eurostar train to London, and from there move on to Milngavie where we would start our hiking journey. We didn’t knew we had to arrive 30 minuts before departure at the Eurostar, so our ticket was invalid. Luckily, we got another one and were able to take the next one. We did arrive an hour later at Milngavie, around 5 PM.

From there we went to Bankell Farm, which was about 2  km (30 minutes walk) from the station. There wasn’t anyone around and office was closed already, but a lady who was camping in a mobile home told us it would be open in the morning.
We pitched our tent near 3 others who were already stationed there. The farm had showers, toilets and a tap outside to refill your water supply. When we walked up to the pitching area, we already met a girl which we would continue to meet the next couple of days. She was hiking together with another guy.
There was also a really cute little cat near the shower area which was really cuddly and friendly.

                                                                                     (our tent is the light green one on the left side)

Sleeping was a little difficult because of the airplanes hovering over our heads every hour or so. It was quite loud, so you may want to bring some earplugs. I am sure they will be useful further on down the road aswell.


Day 2 : Wednesday – Milngavie to Drymen (19.5 km)

We decided to put the alarm clock at 7 Am, but I was up way earlier than that (which is normal for me since I get up each day at 5-6 Am, yes, by free will and not because I have to :P). I ate a tortilla with peanut butter, some chocolate and a fruit smoothie (powder pouch + water). I also made sure to keep some chocolat and a bar nearby as a snack along the way. We packed up our tent and went to the reception to pay. It stated to be open from 8.30, but it was already  open when we arrive at 8. So we paid, it was 6 pounds each. The man at the desk was friendly and gave us an update on the weather. Wind might start setting in later that week.

Now the journey could start.
First thing we did was go to the travel lite shop (iron chef) which is nearby the beginning of the WHW. We signed up for the service so we wouldn’t need to carry out 16 kg heavy bags. Because that is what mine would weigh if I had to add all my stuff from the daypack, in the large backpack.  It was 40 pounds each. Travel lite carries your bags from place to place, wherever you decide to stay that night along the WHW track. It is very convenient and will make your trip a hell of a lot easier.
Even when you are wildcamping the entire way through, you can still get your bags from the drop off spots (which are campsites and hotels).

I went to the toilet in the nearby pub, and on my way out we asked a girl to take our pictures at the beginning spot.

(as you can see, I prefered more baggy clothing, for more airflow :) For the parts too big, I used clips to shorten or tighten it. (for low budget people like me))

She then asked us if we wanted to sign the register in the information center nearby. Sure! So we went there (which is like 20 meters from the beginning point) and signed our names and hometown. The ladies inside were very friendly and helpful. They warned us about the midges. Midges are tiny little mosquito like flies, who can be very active on the west highland way, and who will sting you and leave you covered in red dots. Beforehand we already checked the midge report and found out it was a level five… Ugh. The lady told us it was because temperatures had been going up and down, which made it easier for them to breed. That is why there were so many of them in September (because normally in September they are almost or completely gone).  We bought a head net for 5 pounds, which you can wear during your walk. But as we noticed, you don’t need it during walking. The Midges can’t keep up. You only need it when your camping or sitting still.  I also had Jungle Formula with me, which seemed to help if you apply it enough times. On the entire trip I only had 2 bites. I had more mosquito than midge bites :P

So the first day walking is fairly easy, and not compared to the days after. There are some very short 70° climbs in the beginning. Overall, it is a nice warm up. There is a very nice section in the beginning, and after that some roads, also walking between the hills.











At noon, after we passed beach tree inn, we decided to sit down near a road somewhere and eat our backpack dehydrated meals. I had vegetable soya risotto from trek’n eat. I liked it a lot, but it is a little bit too salty. It does keep you satiated for a long time.

After 5 hours of walking (without breaks included), we arrive at drumquhassle farm camping place.
It was pretty early, around 1.45 PM. The weather had been nice all day, sun, pretty warm, so we put up our tent so it could dry out. Because from the dew, it always gets wet during the night. Make sure you have a tent which first has to be set up from the outside, and then you hang  in the inside, that way the inside won’t get wet.

The girl and guy we met on the first day were there aswell. The owner of the farm wasn’t there yet, so we decided to wait some longer but then went on to Drymen, about 25 min walk, to get some stuff in the shop and eat. Food was around 10 pounds per person. I also bought some apples for the morning.
we went back to the farm and paid the owner, I think it was around 5 pound each.
The camping had some showers and toilets, 2 electric plugs and a sink (all sheltered, not in the open).

We played some cards in the tent, I watched the chickens outside peck around, and then went to sleep around 8.30 PM (in Belgium time it would be 9.30 already). But it was the time we went to sleep on almost all days.


Day 3: Thursday – Drymen to Rowardennan (23 km)

After my usual breakfast of tortilla, peanut butter, nuts, an apple and a snack bar, we departed.
The weather was still pretty nice, as I have been walking in my T-shirt the whole time through.
First we passed through a cowsfield, and then through the woods. A large part of it was chopped down so we had to take a de-tour. But it was still very beautiful at many parts.

Then it was time for conic hill. Some people call it easy, but I call it hard. Why? Because it started to rain and there was heavy winds on top. My waterproof poncho failed on me, and wasn’t waterproof at all. The weather kind of caught me off guards so I was putting on my gaiters in the middle of it all. Result= soaking wet.
I still wasn’t cold, because of all the walking and climbing. I am usually a person who gets cold very easily, but on this trip I had warm most of the time, walking around in a t shirt  even with mild rain and 12°C.
The decent from conic hill was harder because of the rain. There was more water streaming down, more mud. On the way up I heard some people speak Flemish so I said something “I guess you guys are from Belgium” and they said: yes!. They were 2 people (man and woman) from a town quite close to ours.

Anyway, we made it and decided to go to the toilet in the information center. I was so glad that I didn’t have to go to the toilet urgently on connic hill, because there wasn’t really an option. And at home sometimes I have to go very urgently, so I was having all kinds of disaster scenarios in my mind :P.

Then we walked out of the information center and went to eat at the Oak Tree Inn. People have been very friendly so far, as well in the Oak tree Inn. Muddy boots are welcome!
We sat down and were very hungry, ready to devour our food. I ordered some vegetarian curry and Andries ordered a pizza Margarita. The place had a nice atmosphere, dark, lots of gadgets on the walls and stuff, warm… very nice.


After food and toilet we walked on.

The muscle pain had started to set in. I had pain on the side of both knees down my lower legs. Andries had pain more in the back of his legs and between the foot and the leg. We had pain in entirely different places during the walk. So it will be different for every person.
We did have to walk along a lot of roads that day, but still with nice views and it was still fun. There was also a fair bit off up and down hill walking. Especially downhill hurt my legs, uphill was a nice relieve.

At Rowardennan we had to find the youth hostel where travel lite would drop of our bags, but somehow we missed the sign and we ended up walking 1 km further than we had to… Good thing Andries noticed and we turned back and found the hostel. It was tempting to stay in that youth hostel, but I didn’t have the budget for it.
The area where we were had a restriction for wild camping, so we had to walk back, further where we went wrong, more than 1 km and find a wild camping spot. With the heavy backpacks collected, and the daybacks carrying in the front, we walked on and found a spot. It was already getting dark. So we started putting up the tent and I noticed these little flies. I said: “are that midges?” Andries didn’t think so. But then they started to sting :P So I quickly put on my head net and we realized it were midges! We put our stuff in the tent as fast as possible and closed the mosquito net. We were safe.
We didn’t feel like cooking outside with the midges everywhere, so decided to eat some snacks and bars. I wasn’t that hungry anyway, which is very strange for my doing :P.

                                                                                                    (our camping spot that night)

We had normally decided to hike up the Ben Lomond, but decided not to do it. All we had to do is change drop off places on the label on our backpacks, so travel lite would drop it off wherever we wanted. So if you want to change plans during the road, and want your bags to be dropped of somewhere else: just change it on the ticket that travel lite hung on your bags.
It was a good decision, because I don’t think it would have been pleasant to walk up Ben Lomond after so much rain  + sore muscles.

That day we had walked about 8 hours (including missing the youth hostel, walking 1km futher, then back, and then back again to pitch up our tent in the wild camping zone).
We were still smiling though :P

TIP: When camping, it is tempting to place your tent under trees. However: Don’t do it! Whenever it has rained or is raining, the wind blows the drops of the tree which sounds as if someone is throwing a bucket of water over your tent, which will wake  you up during the night constantly :P


Day 4: Friday – Rowardennan to Inverarnan (about 22km)

Woke up, packed tent, off we went. Legs still sore but better.
In the beginning it is a lot of uphill walking, and downhill afterwards. Because of the pain in my legs, I decided to take a painkiller to make it easier for myself. I took Dafalgan Forte and it helped. After a while we came to a fairly difficult path to cross. I guess for a lot of people who spoke about it, but for us it was quite all right. A lot of rocks to climb over and stuff. We still went pretty fast through it. The nice part about the West Highway Way is that every day is different, every day is a different landscape. So today we were walking next to Loch Lomond, with more rocks and stuff, and often very nice views. Along the road there were midges, but you don’t notice them if you keep on moving.
We had heard one man say that this was the hardest point for the whole journey. But this is different for everyone. For us it wasn’t at all.
Also there was supposed to be 2 paths, a tourist path further up, and a more dangerous one below. All we found was the so called “dangerous one”. But everyone else was doing it as well. So maybe that tourist path is extremely well hidden or something…

Anyway around 11.15 we arrived ad Iversnaid hotel, which is a perfect midway point to regain some strength.
We heated up some water and filled our backpack food pouches. I had expedition breakfast which gets 10/10 in flavor.

I then went to the toilet in the hotel (all backpackers can use it, like anywhere else, no pay or anything). And then we went on again.

(Andries making water boil)

The pain killer had already worn out, but the pain was decreased by itself. And from that day on it went better but never totally disappeared.
Again, we met the Belgium folks.
it had also been drizzling a lot during the day, but not enough to put on a raincoat. I still had been walking in my t shirt almost the entire time.
I however, saw a lot of people in vests and stuff… which I was surprised about. Were they really that cold? Because I normally am a cold person but now I was warm all the time. Maybe because I heat up fast when I start exercising. I begin to sweat quite fast.

We arrive around 3-4 PM at Beinglas farm, a campsite, after about 6 hour walking. It was the best campsite we visited throughout the whole trip. They have a very cosy bar and restaurant, good (and A LOT!) of food, a drying and washing room, kitchen, toilets, showers… you’ll see a lot of people limping, so don’t worry ;) It is normal. You see the first pains setting in.
Ofcourse the first thing we went to do was eat. I ordered some vegetable soup with breads, potatoes with butter and steamed vegetables. Andries ordered a burger and fries.
Again, food is around 10 pounds.

The campsite I think 7.50 pounds each.
Then we went to wash and dry our clothing.

(our tent is not that easily seen, but it is about 20 meters right from the big house)

Pitched the tent and decided to visit the Drovers inn nearby. Andries was the one who knew about it and really wanted to visit the place.
It is a really old place from 1705, still in pretty original state. It has a really nice atmosphere inside. There are stories of haunting, by guests who stayed at the drovers inn for the night which you can check out on their website. http://www.thedroversinn.co.uk/media.php
I decided to have a cappuccino (which I normally never drink, I never drink coffee either), and Andries got a whiskey.
There were a lot of dead animals standing and hanging around, which I didn’t find so nice. As if it is a trophies or something. They could as well hang around dead human bodies for my part.

We went back to the camping and went to sleep. I woke up feeling a little bit unwell. Upset stomach and bowels. I felt as if I was getting sick or something. I ended up not sleeping for most of the night, also very very hot. Eventually near the morning it past and I was healed. I think it might have been the cappuccino, or maybe the gluten food (which I am sensitive for).
I decided to take a shower and noticed I had gotten skinnier already.

Also what we noticed  is that there are especially a lot of German people hiking the WHW! And almost no French people. We only heard someone speak French once.


Day 5 : Saturday– Inverarnan to Tyndrum (+- 21 km)

After the shower, we went on again. There were some sheep walking before us on the road. The scenery was very nice, and we walked through the country and hill side. Then through some fields with cows standing on the road. Don’t worry, they are very friendly curly cows.

At around 10.30 we were at crianlarich. It is a small town with not much to see. We wanted to make our food there, and use the toilet somewhere. And what did I notice? My periods had started… Ugh. 1 week before their time (as often happens). I was glad to just be in town to be able to buy some menstruation pads.
We then walked up to the station for some shelter and a bench to prepare our food on. We again crossed paths with the Belgium folks, and some other Belgians aswell.
The people at the tourist office in the beginning had told us many Belgians walked the WHW, and they were right.
At the station I had curry with Rice, which was nice, gets a 8/10 from me.

Then we walked on again until we arrived at Tyndrum after about 4-5 hours of walking. It is the most touristic area we had visited so far. The green welly stop is located there. So after we pitched our tent at the “by the way” camping (which was  8.5 pounds, most expensive so far per person).  We went to visit the green welly shop, and then went to eat at the “real food café” which had a “great taste award 2012”. I ordered again some curry and a salad. At first I wanted to have the veggie rosti but they didn’t have it unfortunately.
The portion was smaller than I like, but it tasted nice. However I couldn’t eat a big part of the salad because there was quinoa on it, which is a very healthy grain for some people, but not for me since it gives me intense stomach cramps.  Because of the name you would think it is very natural food, but inside it kinda looks abit like a junk food bar with friers and stuff :P The staff is very friendly though!

Andries his meal (I ended up stealing some of his fries:P):

We went back to our tent and got there pretty early, around 4.45 PM. There wasn’t much to do, a bit of rain aswel, so we decided to just lay around and not do much. Good rest for the sore muscles. A tad boring though.

It was the first good night sleep I had, only woke up about 2 times.
The camping had a lot of facilities, kitchen, dryers, cooking, showers etc… but we ended up only using the toilet.

Day 6 : Sunday – Tyndrum to Inveroran ( 16 km)

We were ready to go again. Each day we really felt like starting the day.
The road was very easy to walk on, pretty flat surface, some nice scenery around. The road was in the distance on the left. I had to go to the toilet so I hide after some prickly bushed along the road. Also because of my menstruation, I have to go to the toilet more often (girls will understand :P). But don’t worry, you will find a bush or a whole or whatever to hide behind.


We arrived at Bridge of Orchy around 10.45 AM. We went inside the hotel there but saw there was nothing proper to eat except for some snack food. We drank something, and decided to make our own lunch. The wind was getting harder, also some occasional rain. We found a wind free spot at the bottom behind the bridge, to prepare our food. I had pasta with soy Bolognese from Trek’n Eat. Good but not that good, gets 6/10.
Some other people were eating on some benches further above us.

After lunch we moved on, and had to climb a hill. On the map it looks hard (looks like a big climb), but it goes up gradually so it is not demanding at all. Went pretty smoothly so we already arrived at Inveroran at 1.30 PM. Really early, after 4 hours of walking.

We knew it would be the last time we would arrive so early, because had decided to make 1 big day out of the 2 following days. So instead of doing 16 and then 14 km, we would walk 30 km in one day. We knew we could do it, based on our experience so far.
To pass the time we visited the walkers bar the Inveroran hotel, and then went for a walk, and then went back to the walkers bar. After that we went to pitch our tent at the wild camping spot 200 meters down the road next to a stream. Luckily for us it had stopped raining during, so we could put up the tent between 2 showers. We then hide inside and made our food. I had vegetable risotto again. Which gets 9/10. Would have gotten a 10 if it wasn’t so salty. We didn’t eat somewhere else today, because the hotel was the only place there, there was nothing else around, and they only started having food at 6 PM + only 1 meal available for visitors, which would not be vegetarian.

During the night it cooled down, which I felt because I was getting cold during the night. In my sleeping bag with comfort level -7°C, while it was maybe 8°C outside. But as I said, in neutral mode, I get cold quite easily. So for a real winter night I would probably need a sleeping bag -50 °C :P


Day 7 : Inveroran to Kinlochleven ( 30 km)

We looked forward to start our 30 km hike. The scenery this day was amazing. We really were walking through the highlands now. No cars or houses in sight. All mountains around us. There was a little bit of wind but not much, and some rain once in a while. The first part we had no rain, but the second part a lot.

At noon we went to eat at Kingshouse Hotel, where we already arrived at 10.50 AM. We first drank something in the bar at 11, and then waited until 12 O’clock for lunch to be served. I had vegetarian Haggis which was super nice! And Andries had salmon.
The Kingshouse Hotel is old but that makes it so cool inside. Its cozy, nice, clean and warm.

From there we went on, and as we were going up a fairly steep hill, I thought: this seems like the devils staircase… And yup, we were on it! Before us was the steepest part up. So before starting, Andries ate an energy bar and I ate my energy endurance pack. A lot of parts were really 70° climb. So it was exhausting for a short while, but for me personally, not as bad as conic hill or the day after (purely because of the weather).  The decent to kinlochleven was very long. We went through the mountains again, some areas a bit trickier than others, with slippery rocks and stuff. At certain parts we decided to run down instead of walk. My legs were still hurting but I didn’t expect it to go away during the entire hiking holiday. After some hours descending in the rain, soaking wet, we arrived at Kinlochleven. Our bags didn’t arrive at the Blackwater camping yet, so we decided to go to the pub to drink something. I took a hot chocolate milk because I needed something to fill and warm me up. I was glad to been wearing a fast drying backpack pants. My shoes were a bit wet inside now as well, I think because the rain drained my pants, it went under the gaiters, and made its way to my socks.
In the bar we also met some Belgium people, a guy and girl, who had been carrying their heavy backpacks the entire way, and because of that had to take 2 resting days to recover in between walking.

We also went to the shop, because the next day we would not come across any areas with stores for about 24km.

Then we pitched the tent, ate our food and went to sleep.
Oh, and there were a lot of midges!

The camping had a drying room, showers and toilets. Also an outside sheltered kitchen area.


Day 8: Tuesday – Kinlochleven to Fort William (24 km)

The day started with rain. I hoped it wouldn’t because of my non-waterproof poncho, but I had no luck. We first had to do a steep climb which I call the Devil’s staircase nr 2.


From there after you are walking between the mountains. Very nice, but I couldn’t enjoy much of it. It was raining like hell, with heavy wind, which left me sooooaaking wet. I just kept going and going to not get cold. My hands were starting to balloon up (happened the day before as well).

Sometimes we had some sunshine for 5 minutes before the rain returned. During that time, Andries took pictures to not get the camera wet. But we realized why people wrote “gloves” on their packing list. We thought we wouldn’t need gloves, but they sure would have been nice that day.


There wasn’t proper shelter to prepare our backpack food, and I was out of snacks which I ate in the morning, I ate Andries his M&M’s during the way. They were actually very filling and I didn’t feel hungry.

After some hours of walking, being wet and wetter, we started to see forest. So the next part was through the woods, which was nice. Much calmer weather.
Then it was a long decent to Fort William which you could see in the distance. But the weather was better by then.

We planned to stay at the Glenn Nevis campsite, which is actually quite far from the train station which we needed the next day. It was about 45 minutes of walking. So we knew we would have to get up early to catch our train.

Our bags would only arrive after 5 PM with travel lite, so we decided to first walk to the train station. We had to change our tickets to tomorrow, instead of the day after, because we combined 2 days so we were 1 day earlier. Other than a 10 pound charge, it wasn’t a problem.
Then we went on to the finish!

After that: FOOOOOODDDD. At… I don’t remember the name of the place, but not far from it down the shopping street. I had vegetarian fajita with a side dish. So the three plates are mine :P
The table next to us left over a lot of good looking food and it was very tempting to grab and eat it. But we remained civilized, although we really aren’t.

We walked back to the camping, and found out it was only 8.50 pounds for 2 persons! Cheapest we have had all the way through. + It probably had the most facilities of them all.
After a warming drink in the bar, we pitched the tent and went to sleep.


Day 9: return to Belgium

We woke at 5.30, after a night of barely sleeping. The last 3 days my legs were kind of nagging during the night, as if I couldn’t relax them. So that kept me up a bit, including the cold at times. Andries had a summer sleeping bag and was warm, and I had a fleece on + a winter sleeping bag and was cold.
But yeah, one person gets colder than the other.

We ate, packed everything and went to the train.

looonng journey, hours and hours. Then at 5 PM we had to take the euro star, but we had to change that one as well. However, it was non exchangeable so we had to buy a whole other ticket, which cost us 140 pounds EACH! Expensive shit. A bit too expensive for me but I had no choice. I paid with my Visa card, and was lucky to remember my code which I only used for the first time a couple of weeks in advance, and I remembered the movement my fingers made and by that, I could remember my code.
Andries got stopped by the guards because of the knife in his bag. They were super slow with unloading and shit. So I already ran up to the train since we were late. Normally as I mentioned in the beginning, you have to be 30 minutes earlier to check in. BUT, we were already too late but still could get a ticket and could pass, because we had to change days. So I was glad.
Andries arrived in the train right on time.

Arriving in Brussels we took the train to our home town where my mom picked us up. I was happy to see her and she was happy to see me. We talked and at home I saw my dog back :D Frodo. He was very happy as well.

I took a look at my legs and saw my one knee was pretty swollen. So it is resting time now, and eating time! Since I lost 2 kg in just that week.



Yes, I definitely recommend this journey to everyone.
Beginning of September was the perfect month for us. Not too busy, not too cold or too hot. Normally midges would have already been gone.

You also meet a lot of people during your trip:) We kept seeing several of them over and over again. Some Belgians, also 2 woman from England and a teacher.

All you need is proper gear. Especially good quality waterproof shoes, trail shoes or boots. Maybe gaiters, a waterproof pants to pull over, a waterproof jacket or poncho. Test before hand to see if it is waterproof!
Also make sure you got a lot of food with you, or supply along the way and take in consideration when you will be able to re-supply. There is a lot of water refilling spots during the road.

We both had no previous hiking experience. I’ ve only done the cinque terre in italy which is not comparable. Was only 5 days, mostly 2-3 hours a day. Andries did train a bit beforehand, I didn’t. And for both of us it was a trip that one can easily do, I would even prefer 6 days instead of 7 because we arrived very early at some points. You just need good gear, and a good physical condition without injuries. If not, you may want to consult your doctor first, or take a longer trip.

And despite the serious sleep deprivation :P Neither of us felt tired, and we could always keep on going without feeling exhausted.

After effects: swollen knee and a bit of pain but nothing major. And lost 2kg + got an increased appetite, probably from eating all those calories over the last couple of days and speeding up digestion.
Foods I packed:

I had 8 dehydrated meals with me:
Vegetarian Soya Risotto (4)
Curry and rice with fruit (2)
Pasta with soy Bolognese (1)
Expedition breakfast (1)

I had about 18 bars, food bars and snack bars.
Here are a couple of leftovers

I had 3 packs of crisps
3 packs of chocolat
A bag of nuts
Peanut butter
7 gluten free rice tortilla’s in a ziplock bag
dried fruit
some flaxseed oil in a little plastic bottle
6 packs of smoothy powder which I put in a little plastic bottle I carried along, added water from my drinking bottle every morning, shaked and drank it.


I had the Softie Harrier sleeping bag, comfort level -7°C. As you could read, I really needed this since I get easily cold at night.

We picked a 3 person tent, Tent Norheim 3 PU from Nordish to have more room, with a front part where we could boil water, place our bags etc…

As matress I used the Womens ProLite Plus Regular Plum. VERY happy about it! Great matress. I blew in extra air with my mouth to make it really thick. It gives great isolation and warmth.

I used the waterfilter: aquapure traveler: It is designed to provide water that tastes good and is safe to drink anywhere. Its filter cap will purify an average of 350L during its lifetime, and is the only portable water purifier officially endorsed by the Hospital of Tropical Diseases London.
So I could refill ANYWHERE, at any stream or river. Pour water in, shake, wait a couple of minutes and drink :) Easy peasy.

We had Biodegradable Toilet Tissue from Coghlan’s, 5 roles but we ended up not even using 1 role!

I wore the Merrel siren sport womens  walking shoes with Gore tex. Very good shoes! I recommend them. NO blisters at all. If you notice weak areas on your feet, prone to blisters, simply put some sport tape over it, which will prevent any blisters from forming. I had this between my big toe and the one next to it. So I wrap those 2 with some sport tape each morning of the hike.

Backpack fast drying zipoff trousers. Mine was 2 sizes too big in that brand. I bought a size 40 so it hung on my waist, which I had to tighten with a clip. But It was easy to wear, loose and in discount.
3 cotton t shirts
1 cotton cardigan
1fleece sweater

I bought this ponchohttp://www.outdoorgb.com/p/snugpak_poncho/ 36 freaking euro’s for a non waterproof poncho. NOT worth it. Buy a cheap rainvest and rainpants for the bike or something.
They say that it is 100% waterproof and breathable… breathable, yeah, waterproof: nope. Not even for 10 minutes.

I also got some gaiters but with a non-waterproof poncho that doesn’t help much since water will be dripping from your pants right into them….

We also prepared our own food at lunchtime, so we took a lightweight pan to boil water in + a tiny stove with cubes , a burner called Esbit, from Relags. Weighs almost nothing.  Folded it measures:  10 x 7,7 x 2,4 cm.
I think that’s about it :) If I forgot something ill be adding it later on.

If you read this and you met us, say hello:) Or if you have done the West highland way or plan to, or simply enjoy this read, then please leave a comment below. Or don’t, it is up to you:)

Check out full picture album at: https://picasaweb.google.com/106780756309576335841/WestHighlandWay#







, , , ,


  1. Bill Murney says:

    Hi Ann

    I saw the blog link on the WHW forum. It looks like you had a great time and considering it was your first long distance walk you did very well. I have done the walk twice, 2003 and in June this year.

    It’s a fantastic walk and if you would like to see my blog write ups they are on these links -


    There are plenty of long distance paths in the UK, you should return.


  2. Iain Hamilton says:


    Really like your walk description… Very natural. You sound very positive, despite that rain!

    I first did the WHW in 1985, then again with my wife in 1990. I imagine some things have changed since then! And also some things stay the same -the beauty of the country, the joy of walking!

    All the best,

    Iain Hamilton

    • Ann says:

      Yes I was positive throughout the whole trip:) At the end of the day I still had a way to dry my clothing, eat and drink etc…

      Thx for your message Iain! :)Glad you enjoyed it as well.

  3. Ben says:

    Hi – about to head off on part of the West Highland Way (Tyndrum –> Fort William) over this weekend. Reading your blog has really set me up for the walking, never done any walking over distance before. Thanks for the descriptive and enjoyable read! :)

  4. Karen Todd says:

    Hi, myself and two friends are doing the WHW in May this year for the first time. Loved you blog, you have described it so well and the photos are amazing. Really cant wait to go now.

    Thank you
    Karen, Lorna and Victoria

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>